CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Bad Ass?...errrrr...OK!

I have been called lots of things for running this marathon - crazy, ridiculous and even stupid (thanks whoever called me that...). However, my favorite to date, believe it or not, is "bad ass". I was talking to a good friend the other day - she sent me an e-mail that was full of encouragement and at the very end she ended with, "you're bad ass...". I never thought the word (s)? "bad ass" would have a profound effect on me, but somehow it did (in a weird empowering sort of way...). I AM bad ass for embarking on this journey - one with many ups, downs, pains, smiles and tears. I have many moments where I feel very proud of what I'm doing, but also moments where I feel overwhelmed, tired and downright crazy. I knew going into this that it wouldn't be a piece of cake, that there would be days I just wanted to give up, call Monica at the TNT office and tell her this just wasn't working out and "thanks, but no thanks". I do feel like that, often actually - but I also find myself worrying about things that initially never even crossed my mind. What if I get hurt while training and don't even make it to the race? What if I don't make my fundraising goal? What if I can't get through the long team runs? What if I let everyone down? I also never knew what a roller coaster of emotions I'd feel. One second I can't lace up my shoes fast enough, and the next I have NO desire what-so-ever to get off the couch. I have come to expect it, but it's still not always easy to snap myself out of it when I'm in the moment.

This past week has been a good, but interesting one. Physically I have been all over the place. My goal for the week was to work on my cross-training - I have realized that strength training is a MUST in addition to my running. As the mileage is increasing, I have been noticing how weak my upper body really is. Last week I took a Body Pump class (high repetition strength training class that covers everything from biceps to glutes), and worked in a 30 minute circuit in addition to running...and boy did the extra activity tire me out!

I am pretty pleased with my workouts last week - some days I was on and others not so much, but I got it all done, that's all that matters...right?

Saturday 6/28 was our 8 mile run. The weather just wouldn't give me a break - when I left the house at 7 am it was MUGGY and CLOUDY. Awesome start to the day. I was NOT excited to be up that early. What I could have used was a sunny, low 70's kind of day (couldn't everyone?) - but apparently the weather man felt differently.

It was a rough start - the 1st 3 miles my legs felt like tree trunks, I was tired, uninterested and sweating buckets. Mind games were in full effect the entire 80 minutes I was running, again no break there. I trudged to the end, only stopping for quick water breaks and when I reached the end my hips felt like they might crack in half. Nothing else to report except that it's o-v-e-r.

Workouts Last Week:
Sunday: Off
Monday: 4 Miles/ 60 min. Body Pump
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: 7 Miles
Thursday: 4.2 Miles
Friday: 2 Miles/ 30 Min. Circut
Saturday: 8 Miles

I am hoping for another productive week in terms of training, wish me luck!

I am up to $855 as of today, June 29th...YAY! Thank you all SO much! If you haven't (or have!) donated and would like to, please click on the link at the top right-hand corner of the blog. I can't express how much your support means!

Love D

0 comments: