CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 7, 2008

Maine is NOT for running!!

Hey everyone! Here we go with the update of the week! I am ashamed to say that last week was not a good one - at all. I don't know what got into me, I wasn't feeling the least bit motivated. Ok, I will say it...I BARELY ran last week. Ugh. I ran 4 miles last Sunday and that was it until the 9 miler I had on Saturday 7/5. Yea...just imagine how that went!

I am 100% to blame. I wasn't being good to my body and let myself revert back to my famous couch potato days. Bad!! Saturday quickly approached and I KNEW it wasn't gonna be fun - and I was right.

Before I get into that, let me tell you about my weekend in Maine! I went up to Poland, ME with the Kenney's (family friends). Their family has a beautiful home on Lake Thompson - breathtaking! We arrived on Friday morning, had lunch with the family and then high-tailed it to the water for the rest of the day. Apparently I didn't listen to my own advice and got BURNT on my stomach and thighs! It was awful. Wearing pants, shorts or anything with a waistband just killed (imagine how those 9 miles were...ahhh). I learned my lesson quickly, and lathered up ASAP. I got to visit with C & E's grandparents, Don and Joan Zelten (sweetest hosts ever!), Aunt Mary and cousins Kristen & Karie, and of course Caren and Patrick. We enjoyed big family dinners, late night games of Scattergories and a beautiful fireworks display.

Saturday rolled around and neither Catherine or myself wanted to run. We were supposed to wake up at 8 but pressed "Snooze" 'til 10. Another bad idea - now we know why our team runs are early in the morning...because it's not 90 degrees! Catherine was nursing some serious shin splints and I was just feeling like a bump on a log - but we did it. 9 miles under our belts!

I'm not even exaggerating when I say 6 out of the 9 miles were up-hill. It was BRUTAL. Never again will I abandon my training schedule because I was NOT ready for that. I have learned my lesson.

After my poor performance on Saturday, I am making a promise to all of you to STEP IT UP from now on. I have been working very hard, but not hard enough. There are so many elements that go into proper training and although I have been consistent with most of them - I am still slacking.

I realized that a "slow" training week can affect the strength and endurance I have built thus far, and I'll be damned if I let it affect anything else from here on out! (hold me to that...ok?!)

I just got back from a 6.8 mile run (I'm LOVING my Nike chip!) with Megan and am heading to yoga tonight at 7:15.

I am happy to report that as of today, July 7th, we have raised $955!! I am so thankful to all of you who have donated and given me words of encouragement - PLEASE keep them coming.

Now, can I ask a small favor of all of you? If you know of anyone who would be interested in donating or my story - please pass my TNT (link at top right of my blog) and blog link on to them! (PLEEEASE!). I have been approached by so many people thanking me for putting my time and effort into this, it only makes me want to exceed my goal.

I love you all!
xxo D

2 comments:

The Perry Fam said...

WOW!!! 9 miles is a feat in itself! Don't be so hard on yourself. You're doing great!

I ran 4 on Saturday and about DIED!!!! BTW, how accurate is your Nike + iPod? Mine seems to be a little off... even after calibrating.

'Dee said...

I'm so impressed that you are doing this! And when I read your post title "Maine is NOT for running!" I started laughing before I even opened it. I KNEW what you were going to say! Love it. Good luck! You are an inspiration.